Monday, February 15, 2016

Flatbreads

I can’t say that this is an actual recipe, but I couldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t share one of my favorite last minute meal secrets with you.  Because it is as good served at room temperature as it is warm from the oven, and I don’t have to prepare in advance to have particular ingredients on hand, this has become my go to recipe when packing a lunch to take on the boat, a backyard picnic or when asked to bring an appetizer to a last minute gathering. 
I first started making these Flatbreads when looking for something to do with the small dishes filled with an assortment of leftovers in the refrigerator. Not enough of any single item to make a complete meal, but items too good to just toss.  That’s when I pulled out my flatbreads and got creative. 
NOTE: I was in the supermarket and couldn’t find flatbreads so I asked an employee in the department.  He said “Wait right here and I’ll get you some,” proceeded to go to the freezer in the back of the store and returned with several frozen bags.  That’s when I got the idea to always buy them frozen and keep them in my freezer until ready to use.  They take only 2 – 5 minutes at room temperature to defrost and are always fresh.

Suggested Ingredients:
§     2 pieces of flatbreads
§     1 cup grated cheese (i.e. Swiss, cheddar, Monterey jack, Fontina)
§     Approximately 4 – 6 ounces of any leftover or deli meats (i.e. salami, chicken, turkey, ham)
§     1/2 cup crumbled soft cheese (i.e. blue, gorgonzola, feta or goat cheese)
§     1 cup chopped vegetables (i.e. red or yellow peppers, red onion, jalapeno and/or fennel)
§     1/2 cup crumbled soft cheese (i.e. blue, gorgonzola or goat cheese)
§     BBQ Sauce (Regular or Carolina mustard based)
§     Salt and Pepper to taste
§     Optional:  Chopped parsley and/or chives to sprinkle on top after removing from oven

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Place flatbreads on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with grated cheese. The cheese at the bottom will act as the glue for the rest of the ingredients. 
In a small bowl combine the chopped vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
 
Pile the vegetable top of the meat and splash lightly splash with BBQ sauce. 
Dot with soft cheese and sprinkle with remaining grated cheese. 
Place in hot oven for about 10 – 12 minutes or until cheese melts. 
Remove from oven serve warm or at room temperature.  For color and freshness, sprinkle with chopped parsley or chives. 
For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to Flatbreads. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment