Monday, February 15, 2016

Chicken Corn Chowder

Chicken Corn Chowder is one of my favorite soups and I've never met a person to whom I've served it who hasn't loved it, but I never posted the recipe to my blog because I’m trying to keep it simple and this soup takes a while to make.  In order to prepare the ingredients, I first have to make the chicken stock and debone the chicken.  But when I had almost a whole rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator, I thought I would try to make the soup with a few shortcuts, just to see how it came out.
If you have the time and want to make the original version of this soup, download the recipe for my homemade chicken broth from ”Mama Marko’s Chicken Noodle Matzo Ball Soup" and prepare the soup without the noodles or matzo balls.  In the original recipe I use homemade cooked chicken, homemade chicken stock and fresh corn.  In this shortcut, I used homemade stock because I had plenty in the freezer but you can use containers of prepared chicken stock.  I also substituted rotisserie chicken and canned corn (yes, I’m embarrassed but that’s all I had in the house).  The next time I promise to use frozen corn. This soup may not be as wonderful as my original recipe, but it surely didn’t taste like I threw this together in less than an hour.

Ingredients:
§     1 stick butter
§     1 tablespoon oil
§     1 large onion, diced
§     1/2 cup all-purpose flour
§     2 quart containers / 8 cups canned chicken stock, warmed
§     2 cups heavy cream, warmed
§     4 large potatoes peeled and diced
§     6 cups corn
§     4 cups cooked chicken, diced
§     Salt
§     1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon

Directions:


Heat the butter with one tablespoon of oil to keep the butter from burning over medium heat.  Add the onion and 1 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 – 7 minutes until tender and translucent soft. Add the flour and stir to make a roux.  Cook while stirring until roux is lightly brown to cook out the raw taste of the flour.
  

Slowly pour in the warm chicken stock while whisking briskly so it doesn’t lump. Slowly bring to a boil.  The mixture should become thick.


Add the diced potatoes and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Add the warm cream, corn and cooked chicken and simmer for about 15 minutes.
 

Finish with fresh tarragon and salt to taste.



For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to Chicken Corn ChowderEnjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment