Sunday, November 3, 2013

Jack Daniel's Brown Sugar Brie en Croute

Most of the recipes I post on this blog are my own, but I couldn't continue to post my favorite hors d'oeuvres without sharing this very special recipe with you.  I make Brie en Croute often.  In the summer, I top the brie with homemade pesto and pine nuts.  Occasionally I use green grapes and sliced almonds.  Figs are trendy, so I have recently baked the brie with fig jam and served it with crackers, fruits and fresh figs.  But when I attended a shower at Carol’s home where she served this Jack Daniel’s Brown Sugar Brie with Nuts, I couldn’t tear myself away from the plate. 

Although I know there was a lot of food at the shower because that’s how Carol entertains, I never left the seat on the couch next to the coffee table where this Brie was displayed.

Ingredients:
§     1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
§     1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
§     1 Tablespoon Jack Daniel’s or any bourbon
§     1 sheet frozen puff pastry, pre-packaged
§     1 (8-ounce) wheel Brie
§     Carmel Nut Sauce (see below)
§     Sliced apples, pears and crackers for serving

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Defrost puff pastry for approximately 15 to 20 minutes and unfold.
Stir together first 3 ingredients.  Place puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface; roll out fold lines. 
Spread pecan mixture in a 5” circle in center of pastry.  Place brie on top of pecan mixture. 
Wrap pastry around brie, pinching to seal tightly and place folded side down onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. 
Bake for 25 minutes or until light brown.  Cool 10 minutes.

Caramel Nut Sauce:


Combine ½ cup cream, ½ cup butter, 1 cup brown sugar and 2T light corn syrup in small saucepan. 
Bring to boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally.  Cover and boil for 1 minute.
 
Uncover and continue to boil for 3 – 4 minutes without stirring.  Mix in 1 cup chopped pecans.
 
Cool, then spoon around warm brie. 
Serve brie warm with assorted crackers, apple and pear slices.   For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, got to Jack Daniel's Brown Sugar Brie en CrouteEnjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment