Monday, February 15, 2016

Autumn Squash Soup

Everyone loves the fall.  Some say it’s because of the brisk air.  Others love the changing color of the foliage.  Fall is my favorite season because it ushers in the time for warm comforting food.  Now I realize that I can make my savory Pumpkin Soup, Praline Sweet Potatoes and Pumpkin Mousse any time of the year…and I do…but there is something about a slight chill in the air that makes them all taste better. 
 

Anyone who follows my blog knows that I love soup.  I’m not normally a chain restaurant kind of girl, but there is one I love for their selection of soups.  They do a good job introducing new and exciting seasonal selections.  My taste buds were pleasantly surprised by their newly featured Autumn Squash Soup.  I fell in love at first bite with the fall delicacy lightly seasoned with curry and sweetened with apples. 

I couldn’t wait to get home to recreate my new favorite autumn soup.  I bought a butternut squash and two kinds of apples and began cooking away on my stovetop.  The soup turned out great but a little more complicated to make than my average most requested recipe. Most of the feedback I get from my readers is from people who rarely cook but love my recipes because they are impressive to serve yet easy to make.  So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this easy version of my new favorite soup.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 

Ingredients:
§     3 tablespoons butter
§     1 tablespoon vegetable oil
§     1 medium onion, chopped
§     1 teaspoon Kosher salt
§     1 12 ounce package of frozen squash
§     1 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
§     1 cup chicken broth
§     1 cup apple cider
§     1/4 cup honey
§     1/4 cup sugar
§     1/2 cup cream or half and half
§     2 teaspoons curry powder
§     1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
§     Freshly grated nutmeg
§     Toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts

Directions:
In a large pot, melt butter.  To keep the butter from browning, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.  Add onion and salt.
   

The salt will sweat the onions and keep them from turning brown.  Sauté the onion until translucent, about 8 minutes. 
Add squash, pumpkin puree, chicken broth and apple cider.  Cook over low heat until the soup begins to bubble.  Add honey, sugar, curry powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook for another 5 - 7 minutes. 
Lastly, add cream and heat through.  Using an emersion blender, mix soup until smooth and creamy.  If you don't have an emersion blender, carefully ladle the soup into a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. 
Serve hot with toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts.
For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to Autumn Squash Soup. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment