Sunday, June 16, 2013

Southern Tres Leches Cake

When I made the decision to include this recipe in my blog, I knew I had to change the name.  For years, I’ve been referring to this cake as The Cool Whip Cake.  Not a very romantic name for such a delicious dessert. 
This is the easiest cake I make and by far the most requested, so even though I’m embarrassed to admit that I start with a cake mix and end with Cool Whip, I decided to share the recipe with you…..but I refuse to continue to call it The Cool Whip Cake.  Then it came to me….the cake requires three different milks….so why not call it “Southern Tres Leches Cake.”  Brilliant!


To make this cake I use a boxed cake mix, but I never follow the directions on the box.  When making a yellow cake, I replace the required cup of water with a cup of milk.  When making a chocolate cake, I replace the water with 3/4 cup of coffee and 1/4 cup of milk.  Occasionally, I squirt in a few tablespoons of chocolate syrup.  I also add a 4th egg to the 3 the box requires.  A tablespoon of pure vanilla and pinch of salt make a difference in the finished product. These simple modifications produce a cake that no one believes began with a box.

Ingredients:
§  Yellow Cake Mix that requires oil as opposed to butter as an ingredient
§  4 eggs
§  1 cup milk
§  1/3 cup oil
§  1 tablespoon pure vanilla
§  1/2 teaspoon salt
§  1 can sweetened condensed milk
§  1 container Cool Whip, completely defrosted

Optional Topping:
§  1 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, oil, vanilla and salt. 
Add the cake mix and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. 
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and using a fork, prick holes into the cake while still warm. 
Slowly pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake so it is absorbed and seeps into the fork holes.
Once the cake is completely cooled frost with Cool Whip.
If you like, top the Cool Whip with coconut.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This cake will taste better on day two and will last a surprisingly long time in the refrigerator.  For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, go to Southern Tres Leches Cake. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment